How does plastic impact wildlife?
- Entanglement, strangulation and drowning.
- Ingestion, poisoning, intestinal blockage and starvation.
- Species extinction, death and destruction of sensitive habitats.
What are the long term effects of plastic pollution in the ocean?
- Buildup of persistent organic pollutants.
- Transport of invasive species and pollutants from rivers to remote areas in the ocean.
- Major loss of Earth's vital life support system leading towards extinction.
What will happen if the problem isn’t addressed?
- Without immediate and sustained action, the amount of Ocean Plastic will triple by 2040, to 32 million tons per year, equates to dumping 34 lb. of plastic on every foot of coastline around the world.
- Delaying action required to address the problem by five years would add 88 million tons of plastic waste, compounding risks for marine species and ecosystems, our climate, and our communities.